22 February 2008

2006 Villa Pozzi Nero d'Avola

Random selection from the wine shop: the 2006 Villa Pozzi Nero d'Avola from Marsala, Sicily. Made from the Nero d'Avola grape. $11, 13.5% abv. Touch of cherries, hint of prunes, little bit of mint. Despite the dark and strong tendencies of this grape, it's not overpowering. Firm tannins, voluptuous body, lovely cherry aftertaste that lingers for a while.

The name of the grape does not come from the Roman emperor but rather the simple Italian word for "black", as in a black grape from the town of Avola on the southern tip of Sicily, near the historic town of Syracuse (Siracusa).

I served it with a bunch of odds and ends from Lucchesi's: sausage lasagne, spinach and gorgonzola ravioli, creamed spinach, etc. Awesome comfort food, and it was convenient to take home and heat up later. While the pairing with the wine was great, I think it would be even better with lamb or a hearty roast duck.

For some reason this bottle reminded me of another saucy Sicilian*, CNBC's Maria Bartiromo. Not only is my grandfather a fan of her financial analysis, but the great Joey Ramone wrote a song about her shortly before his death in 2001. The Guardian has more background on the story.

*All right, so she's half Neapolitan. Non mi rompere le palle.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am originally from Italy. And I AM Neopolitan by birth... I love this wine. I tasted it a few weeks ago at a free tasting and it was just flying off the shelves! And rightfully so. It's such a good deal! I suggest everyone go out and buy one. (And I am not a wine distributor nor do I work for the company that made it!)

Anonymous said...

Great website: Looking for other's comments on this inexpensive but fabulous wine that I stumbled on in the bargain bin. Loved the dark color and smooth but complex cherry flavor.went back and bought a case!

Anonymous said...

I randomly purchased this wine and happened to pair it with lamb. Benito was spot on, this wine is excellent with lamb. I have enjoyed this wine so much (esp. considering the price point) I was searching to see what other had said about it. Glad to see others enjoying it.

David said...

I just tried this last night, a great find! First time I've had this grape, I'm trying to get to know Italian wines more beyond the usual suspects (at least for someone here in the U.S.)

Anonymous said...

I just tried this afternoon at a wine tasting at a local distributor...It is most excellant...I plan to stock up next week when their shipment arrives...an exciting new grape.

Benito said...

I've noticed that this post has been oddly popular all year long... It's a great little greap that's gaining in popularity if you know where to look. Villa Pozzi is not the only producer; if you're interested in a new wine sensation and enjoy full-bodied reds, look for a Nero d'Avola in your area.

mike said...

We discovered this wonderful wine in Lexington KY at Natasha's Bistro, by the glass from their Winekeeper preservation system. After that we're hooked, went to Kroger's Wine & Spirit's $9.64 bottle. What a wonderful value. Taste like wines 2-3 times more expensive.
Thank you Wine God!

Anonymous said...

We picked up a bottle some time back and tried it the other day. It was very good. Now I can't find any more of it...gad!

Don Cicci said...

Good juice...I just bought a case. Incredible value for such a wine. Let the Argentinians raise their prices to $40 -- give me a great Nero D'Avola anyday. (For at least the next 12 days.)

anna said...

I'm from Italy; I found this incredible bottle of wine in a liquor store and I immediately bought it because the label was elegant yet simple. You can't imagine how happy I was to feel the sun of my native region in a bottle of wine! I loved the taste and the long wonderful flavour it made me keep in my mouth.
I can't believe that such an incredible wine also an incredible price! I can't wait for buying another one, I already miss it!

Glass Jewelry said...

Just had this wine at a restaurant last night. What an incredible value. Great smooth body, fruit forward, berries and dark cherry. Went very well with my osso bucco.