09 February 2009

2005 Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon

Over at Wolfchase Wine & Spirits beside Costco I came across the 2005 Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. $20, 14.1% abv. 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 2% Petite Verdot, 1% Malbec.

There's only one way to sum up the first impression of this wine: cherry and cream cheese Danish. There's a jammy cherry element, then a buttery/toasty pastry aroma, followed by a creamy undertone that makes you crave a cup of coffee. Once it hits all parts of the tongue and goes down the gullet, you've got some tart acidity, firm tannins, and a little bitter finish. After breathing, there are notes of fresh cut grass and green pepper. Nicely complex, and I'd be curious to see how this develops with even more time in the cellar.

I keep saying "don't buy wines based on the label", yet I keep doing it. What can I say... a blackboard full of chemistry diagrams (specifically regarding oxidation and reduction)? The memory scent of chalk dust tickling my brain? I'm a sucker for certain fonts, artists, and references. It's kind of like the old advice that fancy fishing lures aren't made to catch fish, they're made to catch fishermen.

Keep this in mind as a gift for that quiet 20-something in your family that spends far too much time reading science fiction novels and playing video games, but give it with the condition that he has to drink it with a girl... that's not his mom or sister.

I'm not trying to be cruel here, I'm saying this as someone that once spent more time around elderly librarians than available women my own age. Some of the best advice I ever got was from a beloved great uncle who, upon giving me a graduation gift, said, "I want you to spend this on wine, women, and song. If you try to spend this on books or anything practical I'll kick your ass." Based on his background in military intelligence I really didn't have a choice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this as a gift that has to be "consumed with a girl!"

Excellent post Senor!

Samantha Dugan said...

I'm with Dirty on this, I loved this post, super fun Benito.

Benito said...

Dirty & Samantha,

The millennial generation needs a little smack upside the head from time to time. "I better see you on a date with this wine within a week, or we're going to a dark corner near the airport and I'm going to pick you out a girlfriend. I promise you're not going to be happy with my selection."

Samantha Dugan said...

Now that made me hork wine out my nose...dammit I hate that!

Anonymous said...

Benito! Ben!! and Benjamin!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic blog about my wine Educated Guess! I'm glad that you loved it so much that is inspired you to write! We have long sold out of our cult craved 2005 Cab, but we made plenty of 2006 for you to enjoy! Please check out our brand new releases of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir too! Come visit us in Napa and we will go get drunk on vino together! but you have to bring a girl, mine is with me 24/7 dusk to dawn. That goes for dirty and samantha too! all the best, mark owner/operator/janitor/ceo Roots Run Deep aka Educated Guess!

John said...

I think that pure cohiba are better then other ones.. from pure Cohiba's i mean cuban cohiba. yes we want to go to Cuba legally and want to Cohiba Siglo VI legally and also enjoy them legally.