21 June 2013

Farewell The Roommate with the NV Lenoble Cuvée Intense

After living together since 1997, The Roommate has finally gotten married. We stuck together for well over a decade through two dogs, three different residences, and many ups and downs. We're practically family after having spent most of our adult lives with each other. She's striking out on a new life on her own, and while I wish her and her new husband the best, I know that we'll keep in touch.

At the wedding, it was a pleasure to meet up with The Roommate's family, my friends Paul, Anna, Sally, and Terry, and to have the opportunity to introduce Julia to this sort of extended family that I have in West Tennessee.

While The Roommate has been mentioned on this blog from time to time, she doesn't drink (though loved opening boxes of samples and looking at the labels) and her wedding concluded with a strictly dry reception. I had no problem with that, as it's not that uncommon here in the South, and I was respectful of the wishes of the church. After I told the new groom to keep The Roommate fed regularly and supplied with Diet Cokes, Julia and I returned to Memphis. Upon getting home and taking off the suit, I realized that I had the perfect opportunity to pour a glass of proper Champagne and reflect upon the years.

I first had a vintage Lenoble served by Mike Whitfield when he hosted my 35th birthday party. Lenoble was founded by Armand-Raphaël Graser in 1915 and is a strictly independent, family-operated Champagne house. It's the best of both worlds: the spirit of a grower Champagne with the dignity of a recognized house.

NV Lenoble Cuvée Intense
Champagne, France
40% Chardonnay from Chouilly, Grand Cru from the Côte des Blancs
30% Pinot Noir from Bisseuil, Premier Cru from the Montagne de Reims
30% Pinot Meunier from Damery
$40, 12% abv.

Golden delicious apple and Bartlett pear flavors, light white fruit aromas and a clean, crisp finish. Beautiful acidity and medium bubbles. Only the slightest hint of toast on top. Excellent balance all around, and a very dignified Champagne. I love the blend of grapes here, particularly the hearty dose of Pinot Meunier. Highly recommended for a great quality-price ratio.

Cheers one more time to the happy couple, and best wishes for the future!

Note: This wine was provided as a sample.

2 comments:

Pat Warren said...

From my perspective as the Roommate's mother, I want to publically thank you for being such a good friend and so much a part of our lives over the years. Allen and Susan Carter raised a fine young man that I have been privileged to unoffically adopt. I gained a wonderful son-in-law AND still get to claim the Carter family, so this is a win-win for me. God bless.

Unknown said...

Pat,

Much love to you and your family as well.

Cheers,
Ben