28 October 2013

2006 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

I am not an expert when it comes to Brunello di Montalcino. If you're looking for a blogger who specializes in that tiny region, I would highly recommend you check out the blog of my friend Bob Fyke, a writer who specializes in that particular wine. And coincidentally, I met him in NYC the same weekend I met the delightful Susannah Gold, who graciously sent me this and many other wines that will be appearing here soon on BWR.

The name of the wine is a diminutive of Bruno, which is an old Germanic name popular in Italy and meaning "brown". Pouring the wine will help explain the name: as the first splash hits the glass and you see the color of the wine balanced against your white tile kitchen table, the color is garnet, a little brown or orange depending on the lighting, and your first thought is that the bottle is suffering from severe oxidation. Fear not, this is the natural coloring. Give it a few swirls and prepare to be impressed.

I made a heaving dish of baked ziti with my homemade sauce and meatballs, and allowed this wine to breathe for an hour before serving.

2006 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
Tuscany
100% Sangiovese
$45, 14% abv.

The wine has aromas of tea, plum, and black cherry. On the palate it is as smooth as silk. Medium acidity in the background with mellow tannins. Delicious. Little touches of stewed fruit and fig appear on the second day. There is a long finish that keeps you thinking for a while after the last sip. It's an excellent bottle and I look forward to exploring more Brunello in the future.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample for review.

No comments: