01 December 2013

2011 Hahn Pinot Noir

A lot of poultry has been consumed over the past few days, and much will continue to be eaten throughout the holidays. With all of the turkey focus, the website Slate.com finally answered a question that has long been rattling around in the dusty cobwebs of my brain: Why don't we eat turkey eggs? (Short answer: economics.)

I got to enjoy a turkey on Thanksgiving as well as a second one Saturday night at my parents' house. Though Dad's smoked turkey was delicious (and with glorious mahogany skin), I was more impressed with the full grass-fed, Hereford tenderloin that was smoked to a perfect medium-rare and served with horseradish sauce. Though I often do a little secondary Thanksgiving after the holiday to stock the freezer, I've been busy with work over the past few days and am spending this Sunday simply roasting a chicken with which to make King Ranch Casserole.

Why all of the bird talk? Am I promoting This American Life's annual Poultry Slam? No, it's time to try another wine from Hahn, named after the German word for rooster.

2011 Hahn SLH Estate Pinot Noir
Santa Lucia Highlands, Monterey
100% Pinot Noir
$35, 14.5% abv.

This is the first wine from Hahn that I've had over $20. While I've enjoyed their $15 bottles in the past (and found them to be great bargains for the quality), it was nice to get a chance to try one of their higher end wines. It opened with a dominant profile of raspberry, and gentle wood tones with a touch of pencil lead. On the palate the wine shows low tannins but a bright tartness and a medium length finish. I recommend serving it with a nice leg of lamb, where the meat will help bring out some deeper earth tones from the wine.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample for review.

No comments: